Sunday, May 16, 2010

Waterfall - M.C. Escher - Chapter 31

Again, I use an M.C. Escher painting because this guy is a complete GENIOUS! I looked at this one for quite a bit of time trying to figure this one out (yes, just like the last painting). It's another simple, but complex painting. Escher uses the buildings to keep it simple, but then uses the little mill with the waterwheel to start his illusionary effects. It looks as if the water is traveling down a declined path, but the water is also traveling up an inclined path. In this painting it is all what the interpreter sees in the painting. To me I see the water traveling down the sloped path, and ending up above the mill, creating the waterfall. This painting is definitely one of my favorites by M.C. because he is a complete master of tricking minds. M.C. has a real skill at illusions and I can tell why he is a famous artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment